The village of California lies at the intersection of Cherry and California Roads, just south of the township municipal building. In 1849, Frederick Wolf built a 3-story hotel. A mill and village site were already in existence when Wolf bought 140 acres in 1847. Being the year of the California gold rush, he named it the California Hotel. He installed a sign picturing a miner carrying a sack of gold. In 1850 a school was built in the village. The hotel structure remains, but grist and saw mills, once operating here, are gone. A number of residences are clustered around the intersection.