The village of Buckingham is located around a small triangle delineated by the intersection of Old York Rd (Route 263), Durham Rd (Route 413), and route 202 in central Buckingham Township, about 4 miles east of Doylestown, and 7 miles west of New Hope.
In 1752 a tavern was established by Henry Jamison. After his death in 1767 his widow, Mary, operated the tavern until marrying John Bogart in 1772. From 1773 to 1777 the tavern license was issued to John Bogart, and thus, during that period the settlement was known as Bogart's Tavern.
The current name came into being when the post office was established in 1872 (with Jacob S. Michener as postmaster). During the intervening decades it was variously known as Van Horn's Tavern, Wilkinson's Tavern, Snaptown and Centreville. George MacReynolds, in Place Names in Bucks County, notes: "While thus assigning names of taverns or inns to this town, it must be borne in mind that place names in past days had a peculiar habit of alteration, and also that places named for their inns at the same time in numerous instances bore a different name."
General Nathaniel Greene, one of Washington's commanders at the Battle of Trenton, headquartered at Bogart's Tavern during the winter of 1776.
Notable among historic residents (purchasing the tavern in 1814) was one Colonel Elisha Wilkinson, son of prominent Revolutionary War figure Colonel John Wilkinson. Elisha served in the militia during the war of 1812 and subsequently, sheriff of Bucks County.
School District: Central Bucks
Other neighborhoods named