Everett Historic District
The Everett Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. [†] Adaptation copyright © 2008, The Gombach Group.
The Everett Historic District is located within the Borough of Everett. Everett is situated in the central eastern section of Bedford County, Pennsylvania, eight miles east of Bedford. The town is focused along two major streets, Main Street (Route 30) which travels east and west, and Spring Street (PA 26) which travels north and south. Main Street shares the route of the Pennsylvania Road and the 1913 Lincoln Highway. A 1928 Lincoln Highway marker stands at the western edge of town and is a contributing object. The district contains 362 buildings. Of these, 300, or eighty percent, are contributing resources. An additional approximately 150 secondary buildings excluded from the resource count and inventory serve as garages, sheds, or barns. Building dates range from circa 1830 to 1952. Exhibited within the district are styles from ranging from Federal through Craftsman. Sixty-two (62) noncontributing buildings are scattered throughout the district. The district retains integrity.
The southern boundary of Everett Borough is the Raystown Branch of the Juniata River. The main street of the town, traveling east-west, runs parallel to the river roughly two blocks from its northern bank. Except at the valley created by Bloody Run and paralleled by North Spring Street, the town is confined by steep topography on its northern boundary to a depth of two blocks as well. The valley running north-south is two blocks deep on either side of North Spring Street. The western boundary is essentially a rock outcrop of Tussey Mountain, while the eastern boundary is the steep and rugged Warriors Ridge. This created a three-pronged growth pattern for the early settlement of Everett. The historic district is delineated by these natural features, while limited on the northern prong by more modern development north of Fifth Street. The approximately 120 acre Everett Historic District encompasses roughly 70 blocks in the central part of the Borough, extending from the intersection of Main Street, Route 30, formerly the Lincoln Highway, and Spring Street, Route 26.
Most of the properties along Main Street are included within the historic district. The eastern boundary is at Karns Avenue, beyond which the buildings tend to be less than fifty years old. The buildings north of Fifth Street along North Spring Street are generally greater than fifty years old, but exhibit a less cohesive grouping and many have been altered.
The Everett Historic District contains a total of 362 buildings. Included are sixty (60) commercial buildings and seven religious buildings. Most of the buildings in the district were constructed between 1830 and 1952, illustrating the range of architectural types and styles popular during that time span. Eighty percent of the buildings are contributing resources. Residential, commercial, public, and religious buildings are present in styles ranging from I-houses, Gothic Revival, Italianate, American four-square, Craftsman and early twentieth century Revival styles.
The majority of the residential buildings inventoried are vernacular (149). There is an abundance of brick vernacular residences (54) which are five bays with a central hall. Most of these appear to have been built after 1860. There are sixteen Victorian style houses. The resources from the fast half of the 20"' century are predominantly four-square (30) and Bungalow (14), while there are three Deco, two Tudor Revival, one Georgian Revival, and one Spanish Revival residence. The inventory indicates that there are ten buildings constructed prior to 1860 within the district. There are 179 buildings constructed between 1861 and 1900. The buildings from the first half of the 20" century number 137. There are 36 buildings built after 1952. The district contains three mobile homes.
Approximately seventy-five (75) percent of the properties in the district were constructed as single family residences. The majority of homes have relatively shallow setbacks from the street. The larger residences in Everett were built along North Spring Street. Those on the western side of the street are set on a rise or beyond a retaining wall and have a greater setback than is typical within the historic district. The street is planted with larger trees, lending a grand appearance.
Many residences along the length of Main Street generally display the earliest construction in the district, with the I-house configuration. Scattered among these buildings are early twentieth century four-square houses. These houses are typically of brick construction with modest detailing and are set close to the sidewalk. There are a few of the Gibboney, or "Cottage" houses on East Main Street. These buildings were prefabricated frame houses manufactured by the Cottage Planing Mill at the turn of the century. They were generally large, two story houses with elaborate wood detailing, especially on the gable rake boards, porch columns and railings.
The southern portion of the historic district toward the Juniata River contains more modest, smaller scale residences built around the turn of the twentieth century. These houses are generally of frame construction, though most have been covered in vinyl or aluminum siding. The terrain in this section of the district is flat and has less street tree planting, presenting a more stark impression.
The western section of the Everett Historic District is physically separated by a large rock outcrop, yet has the density and feel of the district. This portion is mainly residential and the buildings are of wood construction, many covered in synthetic siding.
Most of the residences in the historic district are two or two and one-half stories in height. The forms most evident are side-gabled, cross-gabled and four-square with a hipped roof. There is a general lack of porches on the houses lining Main Street, while those in the North Spring Street neighborhood have full length or wrap around porches. Overall, about 60 percent of the residences in the district are of wood frame construction, and 40 percent are brick. The frame houses in Everett somewhat resemble those often found in towns further north in Pennsylvania, where lumber was a common building material. The majority of southern towns in Pennsylvania exhibit a dominance of masonry construction, from simple field stone work to elaborate brick patterning. Everett has no early stone buildings. The brick buildings are rather standard in their detailing, indicating little presence of overt stylistic influence in the borough.
The commercial center of Everett is a compact, four block area extending east from the intersection of Main Street and North Spring Street. The area is a mix of two and three story brick and frame buildings. Some were built in the late nineteenth century and possess Italianate or Queen Anne characteristics. Most date from the early part of the twentieth century and have vernacular features. Along the southern side of East Main Street, these buildings create a tight assemblage of facades. There is no setback, of the older buildings from the sidewalk, and in some instances creating an arcade over it. Post-1950 construction tends to be placed back from the street. The Everett Post Office at 17 East Main Street, built in 1938, has a small setback as well. An additional exception to the commercial area is the Everett Free Library at 137 East Main Street, a converted brick Italianate residence that is set back from the street (right, photo #22). This building has one story brick addition to the rear dating from the early 1990's. A unique feature of the town is the presence of double porches on some of the buildings, creating a covered arcade over the sidewalk.
There are several religious buildings within Everett's Historic District. The Zion Lutheran and Grace Brethren churches stand near each other on West Main Street. The Barndollar Methodist Church, a brick building constructed in 1860 is farther from the commercial district at 221 East Main Street. A second Brethren church is located on Water Street. The Trinity Worship Center and Baptist churches are on North Spring Street. All of these buildings are of brick construction, and with the exception of the Lutheran church at 20 West Main Street which was built in the 1960's, all are contributing resources to the historic district, reflecting the Gothic Revival style and church vernacular forms.
Traditionally, much industry has existed in the Borough of Everett. The largest contributing resource associated with industry is the Everett Hardwood Company on East Third Street. This four story, banked concrete building, constructed circa 1915, was originally the Cottage Planing Mill. It is five bays wide and ten bays deep. There are several adjacent outbuildings that include a drying kiln and lumber storage sheds. The Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad had a rail siding next to these sheds. The foundry on North Juniata Street, built in 1874, has been converted into an artist's studio and residence. The Everett Manufacturing Company on Water Street between East Foundry and East First Streets once housed a men's clothing manufacturer. Constructed in three stages, the main section was built around 1920, the final in 1955. It is a rusticated concrete block building with large sawtooth light monitors on the roof and large windows for daylight exposure. Presently it is used for storage by Zimmerman's Hardware and Supply.
There are sixty-two buildings within the Everett Historic District which are noncontributing resources. Many of these buildings date from the nineteenth century, but have had significant alterations or additions such that their historic integrity has been lost. Public buildings in Everett have mainly been constructed since 1952. The combined Fire Hall and Borough Building was built in the 1960's. A convenience store holds one of the major corners of the district at the northwest corner of Main and North Spring Street, while other modern buildings and parking lots are interspersed with the contributing buildings. Three banks built in the 1970's and 1980's intrude on the district's fabric with suburban siting and drive-through traffic lanes. A supermarket on West Main Street creates a large gap in the collection of houses lining that street. Commercial activity exists adjacent to the district along East First Street, East Asa Street, and East South Street. These businesses are housed in buildings that are noncontributing resources constructed in the latter half of the twentieth century. There are three mobile homes located within the district.
Approximately 150 buildings, excluded from the resource count, exist within the Everett Historic District as barns, garages, and storage sheds. These buildings are minor in significance or are less than 50 years old, thus not included in the resource count. The majority of these buildings are garages which are generally adjacent to and accessed from the alley at the rear of the property. Additionally, many of these buildings are recent, prefabricated sheds. There is a minimum number of barns or stables in the district. Wood is the predominant material used in these buildings. Metal or vinyl siding is also used. Overall, the scale of these buildings is small, and their generally hidden location lessen the impact they have on the historic character and integrity of the district.
Architecturally, the historic district retains integrity. The common practice of installing synthetic siding has affected many of the wood framed residences. Most of the roofs in the district have been replaced with asphalt shingles. Many of the houses retain significant detailing, window sash, window and door surrounds, porches and chimneys, roof lines and foundations. The trend of small town merchants in updating the image of their businesses has caused many of the commercial buildings in Everett to suffer superficial yet reversible alterations. Approximately 20 percent of the buildings (62 buildings) of the district are noncontributing. The majority of these buildings were constructed after 1952. Examples in addition to the Everett Fire Hall and Borough Building include a convenience store and hanks. Buildings which have undergone extensive alterations, resulting in loss of architectural integrity also add to this percentage.
The Everett Historic District is significant under Criterion A in the areas of Commerce, and Transportation. The district meets the requirements of historic districts property types of the National Register Multiple Property Documentation Form "Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor Historic Resources, Westmoreland to Franklin Counties." This document has been accepted by the National Park Service and provides the basis for evaluating the eligibility of related properties. The Lincoln Highway passes through Everett and its built resources reflect the significance of the Lincoln Highway as well as its predecessors, the Forbes Road and the Pennsylvania Road. The district possesses significance in Architecture under Criterion C for its cohesive collection of historic resources that date from circa 1830 to 1952. These resources signify the various growth periods of the borough. The period of significance for the Everett Historic District spans from circa 1830, the era from whence the earliest resources may be dated, to 1952 representing the continuing importance of the areas of significance according to the National Register's 50 year timeline for inclusion
The town of Bloody Run was located along the original Forbes Road, constructed in 1758, the main east-west corridor from Philadelphia to Fort Pitt. This route was utilized in 1754 during the French and Indian War. The north-south Warriors Trail bisected Bloody Run as well. This trail ran from the Potomac River in Maryland northerly to Huntingdon, PA, essentially following the Raystown Branch of the Juniata River, and presently Route 26. Apparently, an Indian settlement once existed on the site of the town.
Bloody Run was laid out on June 15,1795, by Michael Barndollar. Barndollar, originally from Germany, and later from Frederick County, Maryland, purchased 400 acres which included a creek named Bloody Run on March 7, 1787. The early town was named Waynesburg in honor of George Wayne, however the Post Office bore the title of Bloody Run. The name of the creek has no definite origin, though several legends exist. The town held the name Waynesburg until 1860, when it was officially changed to Bloody Run. On February 13, 1873, a court decree renamed the town Everett, after the statesman and orator Edward Everett. Edward Everett, 1794-1865, one time governor of Massachusetts and president of Harvard University, is best known as the speaker opposite Abraham Lincoln at the reading of the Gettysburg Address. A biography of George Washington was written by Everett, who also initiated the efforts to save and preserve Washington's home, Mount Vernon.
Eighty acres west of Bloody Run were purchased from Michael Barndollar by Samuel Tate of Shippensburg at the turn of the nineteenth century. Early settlers were William Paxton Robert Culbertson. Both men operated hotels. The latter rode a post route to Shippensburg, PA, some sixty miles away. In 1802, Michael Barnollar constructed a stone building where he lived and operated a store. This building was at the site of the present Union Hotel at 128 East Main Street. A cabinetry shop was established in 1806 by Charles Ashcom. The first post office was also opened in 1806, with Philip Compher as postmaster. Upon Samuel Tate's death, his land was divided and sold, thus enabling further settlement.
The Pittsburgh, Bedford and Chambersburg Turnpike was completed in 1819. The opening of this road was significant for the growth of Waynesburg. There were three tollgates into the town and tolls were collected until 1903. No tollgates survive. The growth of transportation services is significant during this period. As recorded in 1832 by Joseph Strong, a stagecoach driver from Cumberland, Maryland, there were eighteen buildings in the main area of town and five hotels: Bloody Run Hotel, Stage House, Old Horseshoe Bend House (later Red Tavern), Old Mansion House, and the Yellow House. A mercantile business was established in 1839 by Thomas Ritchey. A small foundry was begun in 1854 by the brothers Josiah and Jeremiah Baughman and operated until it burned in 1864. The foundry was rebuilt in brick by Frederick Felton in 1874. This building has been converted to a residence on North Juniata Street. The Plank Road, (North Spring Street) was laid out in 1856. Many of the town's significant historic resources are located on this street. In 1859, Jacob Barndollar sold his mercantile business to J. B. Williams. The proceeds from this transaction were used to build the Barndollar Methodist Church that same year at 221 East Main Street. Waynesburg was incorporated as the Borough of Bloody Run in 1860. By this time, the population had grown to 350.
The presence of a religious community is evident in the Borough of Everett. The Methodist Church was the first to be organized, erecting their first church building in 1812. The Barndollar Methodist Church, built in 1859, serves as their house of worship. The early Presbyterians built their church on Hill Street, overlooking the town, and it has since been demolished. The Zion Lutheran and Grace Brethren Churches stand in the same block of West Main Street. A Baptist Church exists on the corner of East Second Street and Water Street. The Reformed and the Brethren have their houses of worship on North Spring Street.
The construction of the Huntingdon and Broad Top Railroad in 1863 heralded an era of industrial development for Bloody Run. The passenger and freight stations from this era originally stood on West Third Street near the borough line, and have been moved and renovated at a site north of West Fifth Street. The population grew by 200 within two years of the arrival of the railroad. The railroad ran for 91 years, servicing the local markets. Many five bay vernacular brick houses were built during this period, with the greatest proportion lining Main Street. These houses bear the evidence of a single builder, due to their similarities and close construction dates. The Barndollar family had earlier operated small tanneries in the borough, utilizing local hides and bark for production. In 1866, the Tecumseh Tannery was built by Jason Hanks. It was purchased in 1872 by the J. B. Hoyt Co. of New York, becoming one of Bedford County's largest early industries. Located north of the historic district east of North Spring Street, the tannery employed about 100 men year round and operated until it burned in 1908. The lumber industry has, and continues to be a healthy force in the Everett region The first portable steam sad was brought to Bedford County in 1868 by J.J. Barndollar. In 1870, a planing mill was built by J.M. Bender. With the exception of the Cottage Planing Mill, none of these industries survive. A small cigar-manufacturing business was begun by Henry F. Sheeder in 1871 to provide for the local market. Luther and M.F. Myers opened a carriage and wagon making business in 1873. That same year, the Everett Cemetery was chartered and located on a bluff overlooking the Juniata River east of the Everett Historic District. By 1878, the borough contained fifteen business houses, five hotels, three churches, a graded school, a bank, a foundry and machine shop, a planing mill, two steam tanneries, a cemetery, and two hundred private residences. The Everett Fire Company was established in 1880 with forty-eight members. By this time, the population had grown to 1,257.
The last two decades of the nineteenth century marked the greatest expansion of industry and construction in Everett's history. The Cottage Planing Mill was established in 1884 by George Harrison Gibboney on West Third Street. A second plant was built north of East Fourth Street on North Spring Street. This industry produced prefabricated houses as well as wooden water pipe. There are several examples of the "Cottage House" or Gibboney house within Everett. The presence of this industry has given excellent examples of wood detailing to buildings in the area. The designs of Mr. Gibboney gave rise to a popular style evident in Bedford County in houses built between 1890's and the late 1930's. Characteristics of this style include brick as well as frame exteriors, a square plan shape, 2 1/2 stories, hipped roof, dormers, wrap-around porch, and keyholed windows. Gibboney's own house stands at the southwest corner of North Spring and East Third Streets. The second Cottage Planing Mill burned around 1920 and a third plant was rebuilt on West Third Street of reinforced concrete. The neighborhood adjacent to the mill displays simple, worker type housing, such as wood framed four-square houses.
The Blast Furnace of Everett was begun in 1884 with the extension of the Huntingdon and Broad Top Railroad to Mt. Dallas and southward into the iron ore mines of Black Valley. The nation's economy stalled the furnace's actual production of steel until 1889, when Joseph Thropp purchased the blast furnace and renamed it the Earlston Furnace. The furnace was first fired in 1890, and operated until the inferior quality of the local iron ore was overcome by ore from other areas. The furnace was shut down in 1923, and due to poor management and the Great Depression, the Earlston Furnace went bankrupt in 1933. The site, across the Juniata River from the western end of the historic district, is presently the maintenance facility for the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
The Everett Bank was founded in 1885, as well as the Everett Glass Company. The Glass Company operated until 1902. The town was electrified in 1894 with the installation of forty street lamps. That same year saw the first printing of the Everett Republican, a weekly newspaper. In 1898, the old Union Hotel was partially demolished and replaced with the present brick building. This building, though currently unused, remains the largest travel accommodation from the nineteenth century within the district.
The South Perm Railroad was planned to pass to the south of Everett at the end of the nineteenth century. Surveys were made and rights of ways and tunnels were begun. The project was abandoned and the original right of way was purchased to become the route of the Pennsylvania Turnpike in the late 1930's.
When the Lincoln Highway was designated in 1913, following the original Pennsylvania Road, Everett was able to serve travelers as it had since the early nineteenth century. Everett provided garages, restaurants, and hotels to accommodate Lincoln Highway motorists. The Lincoln Highway Association of Everett had a representative, or consul for the Lincoln Highway. Beginning in 1938, however, the Pennsylvania Turnpike was constructed on the path of the South Perm Railroad. While acting as an operation point for its construction, Everett benefitted briefly. The Turnpike essentially bypassed Everett as a traveler stop offering no direct access to the highway with the locations of interchanges eight miles to the east at Breezewood, "The Town of Motels", and eight miles to the west at Bedford. The present Georgian Revival Post Office was built in 1938 at 17 East Main Street, across from the Everett Theater. The Carolyn Courts Motel, at the southwest corner of Main and Spring Streets, is a modern stop for the traveler. Built in the 1940's, the concrete block motel is two stories and has an adjacent restaurant. The guest rooms are configured in a U-shape and are accessed from South Spring Street.
The latter half of the twentieth century witnessed a minor amount of growth. In this time frame, two major geographic changes were made in the vicinity of Everett. The Raystown Branch of the Juniata River was straightened and a flood control dike constructed along the north bank in 1968. The second change was the opening of a four lane by-pass of the town by Route 30 in 1980. This bypass eliminates much of the truck traffic as well as motorist traffic which would otherwise pass through the town.
Located at a crossroads, the town of Everett was well situated to provide the necessary amenities for trade and accommodation for the traveler on the historic Lincoln Highway as well as the farmers and residents of the rural region. A great amount of mercantile activity presently occurs within the historic district and has evidently occurred there since the early days of settlement. Traditional businesses which catered to the agricultural livelihood still exist, many housed in historic buildings.
Zimmerman's Hardware and Supply occupies a brick and block vernacular building at 131 East Main Street as well as the former Everett Manufacturing Company, or the Sewing Factory, on Water Street between East Foundry and First Streets. Although the needs and goods have shifted over time, much of the original commercial space is reused. The former Whetstone Pharmacy at 135 East Main Street, a well preserved wooden commercial building with Victorian detailing from the 1860's presently houses an electronics store. Several of the larger commercial buildings have been converted to light industrial use while retaining their historic appearance. At 259 East Main Street, a two story concrete block building originally an automotive garage, is now a beverage distributor. Other examples of this trend exist throughout the district.
Accommodations for the traveler on the Lincoln Highway were provided by businesses within the historic district. A former early tavern at 23 West Main Street is presently the local senior center while retaining its original appearance. Overnight rooms and dining were once available at the Union Hotel, a looming three story yellow brick building from the turn of the 20"' century with a porch and balcony over the sidewalk at 128 East Main Street. The Carolyn Courts Motel, at the southwest corner of Main and Spring Streets, provided for the needs of the motorist since the 1940's. As mentioned previously, the automotive service needs gave rise to many garages in the district.
The Everett Historic District is significant under the Criteria of Transportation due to its location on the route of a major historic road. The original Forbes Road entered the district at its eastern edge at River Lane and followed the present Main Street through the town. This later became the Pennsylvania Road, an early turnpike which had toll gates in the district. Everett played a role in providing amenities and accommodations for travelers and teamsters transporting goods through the region. A later significance is evident in its position on the Lincoln Highway. A bronze Lincoln Highway marker set in a concrete post stands at the western end of the district.
The Everett Historic District is a good example of a small central Pennsylvania town whose commercial and residential building stock reflects stylistic and architectural influence from Federal to mid-twentieth century. The largest commercial buildings in the district are on southern side of Main Street east of Spring Street. They are located immediately adjacent to one another and often share a common wall. They are vernacular in style and are either brick or frame. Additionally, an arcade is created by two of these buildings. The three story Union Hotel interrupts the rhythm of these buildings. On the north side of East Main Street the buildings are spaced farther apart, often with parking lots. They are also lower in height, one or two stories. The heart of Everett's commercial area is cohesive and imparts a significant historic appearance.
At the edges of the commercial area are several churches whose steeples serve as framing devices. Two churches at 100 and 20 West Main Street appear as a gate at the western side of the intersection of Main Street and Spring Street. The Trinity Worship Center, a brick Gothic Revival building at 37 North Spring Street, provides the northern frame. At 221 East Main Street, the Barndollar Methodist Church acts as the eastern gate.
Beyond these churches in all directions, the Everett Historic District is mainly residential, with an average height of two stories. The earliest of these houses are vernacular. They are typically five bay brick buildings and often have an L addition to the rear. A common detail in these houses is found in the carved window frames, indicating a common builder or woodwork provider. Proportionally, these houses are generally taller, with high ceilings and narrow windows, which are two over two glass panes. Many of these houses were built around the time of the construction of the railroad in 1863, thus supporting the large growth period in the district.
A later influence on the residential stock in Everett is the work of George Harrison Gibboney of the Cottage Planing Mill. These houses begin appearing in the 1880's and are scattered throughout the historic district. The early versions are wooden with elaborately turned and carved detailing, especially on porches, window and door frames, as well as the gable rake boards. Later Gibboney houses are simpler and often are brick. This influence lasted until the 1920's. Many of the four-square houses in the district may be attributed to Gibboney. There are several wooden versions of these in the vicinity of the Cottage Planing Mill and appear to have been built to house the workers from the mill.
Examples of other early twentieth century stylistic influence exist in the presence of several bungalow houses in the district. These houses are typically one and a half story with abroad front porch that incorporates the roof line of the house. The bungalow houses in Everett are constructed of brick or rusticated concrete block up to the second level and the gable ends are either wooden shingle or clapboard. These buildings are modest in appearance and lack the detailing often found in this architectural style.
The post-World War I eras produced examples of some of the revival styles in the district. A stucco Tudor Revival house stands at 311 east Main Street. A large brick, two story Georgian Revival house is at 202 North Spring Street. A stone Colonial Revival house is located at the north west end of West First Street. These later buildings exhibit a greater expense and attention to materials and detailing than the typical vernacular structures in the district.
Comparable Historic Districts
In contrast to Everett, Bedford Borough, the Bedford County seat since 1791, displays a greater range of high style architecture. Located eight miles west of Everett on the Lincoln Highway (Route 30), Bedford became the commercial, cultural and financial center of the county. The Bedford Historic District contains excellent examples of early colonial architecture as seen in the Espy House or the Anderson House. Several buildings, including the courthouse are the work of the local architect builder Solomon Filler. Additionally, examples of Federal and Greek Revival, and later Italianate, Second Empire, Beaux Arts, Art Deco and Craftsman styles are found in the Bedford Historic District. Everett's collection of buildings is overwhelmingly vernacular in comparison. However, Everett was settled as a working town, unlike Bedford.
Schellsburg, another crossroad town similar to Everett, was initially settled at about the same time. Seventeen miles west of Everett, it is a much smaller town than Everett. Schellsburg mainly was a rural Bedford County commercial center and lacks the industrial base found in Everett. Schellsburg contains an excellent grouping of brick Federal houses lining Pitt Street (Route 30). Two log buildings are found in the district. There are also a few commercial buildings, churches, a Post Office, and automobile service facilities, remnants of the Lincoln Highway era. Unlike Everett, the Schellsburg Historic District contains a number of barns and outbuildings on the resource properties. These buildings add significantly to the historic character of the district.
Harrisonville is a village located eighteen miles east of Everett in Fulton County. It has an eligible historic district and was built around an intersection with the Lincoln Highway. A much smaller settlement than even Schellsburg, Harrisonville's buildings date from the nineteenth century, with one exception. All of the buildings in Harrisonville are constructed of wood, unlike Everett, which contains a significant number of brick buildings.
†Paxton, Timothy P., Everett Historic District, 2003, nomination document, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.