Furnaceville derives its name from the blast furnace that was operated there from about 1825 to 1887. The village grew up around the furnace and from 1870 to about 1885 had been a very busy hamlet. A post office was established with L. J. Bundy as postmaster. In 1895, the furnace having been abandoned, the Furnaceville consisted of a store, the post office and a few houses. At that time Arthur L. Fries was postmaster.