Marengo is a small village that was the site of the first settlement in Galen. Thomas Beadle originally owned the land. Edward Ludlow started a store here in 1818; Cyrus Smith was appointed the first postmaster. About 1818 Edward Wing built and opened the first tavern, and Nathan Blodgett started an ashery. The village was rapidly surrounded by thrifty farmers, most of who were Quakers who early on established a church.