Sag Harbor Village
Sag Harbor Village Hall is located at 55 Main Street, Sag Harbor NY 11963; phone: 631-725-0222.
First settled ca. 1707, the village was incorporated in 1846.
Sag Harbor is one of the few remaining 18th-century American coastal towns that retains its integrity, architectural and otherwise. The year-round residents number about 2,500 with the usual summer influx of tourists seeking sun and the beaches. The architectural heritage of the village dates largely from the first half of the 19th century when it was a booming whale town and fortunes were made and legends were born. Herman Melville saw the docks in Sag Harbor, as did James Fenimore Copper and John Steinbeck. After the boom in the 1830s-1840s, the whaling industry went elsewhere and petroleum replaced sperm-whale oil. Time left this fishing village virtually intact, complete with its Old Whaler's Church, considered by many to be the most important building in Sag Harbor.