Babylon Town Hall is located at 200 East Sunrise Highway, Lindenhurst NY 11757; phone: 631-957-3000.
Babylon was originally called Huntington South and according to anecdotal sources, the name Babylon came from the mother of Nathaniel Conklin who came with her son to the area in 1803. She took the name from a Bible verse in Psalm 137 that stated that those who remembered Zion sat down and wept by the waters of Babylon. Apparently Mrs. Conklin was unhappy with the move and her son's response was that he would make a new Babylon. The Conklins were some of the earliest settlers to move to the south central region of Long Island after the lands were purchased from the Massapequa Indians in the late 18th century. These first settlers established farms and mills along the various waterways, including the Carlls River and Sampawams Creek.
Both the Town and the Village were part of the Town of Huntington until 1872 when population growth required a new town with a centrally located government. An act of the State Legislature officially created the Town of Babylon on January 3, 1873 and town meetings were held in private homes and local hotels until the town hall was built in 1917. All town records were stored in an office in the Village of Babylon that was rented by the town clerk. Other town officials such as the supervisor, highway superintendent and local judges conducted business out of their homes. Most of the population was located in the villages of Babylon, Amityville and Lindenhurst (originally called Breslau) with scattered farms in between, making centrally located government offices an unrealistic goal.