Carlisle (post office and hamlet) is situated in the north part of the Town of Carlisle, on the Western Turnpike, and contains a church, a hotel, two stores, a foundry, a tannery, two blacksmith shops, a carriage shop, two shoe shops and 28 dwellings. Grove Seminary was built in a beautiful grove, a little south of the center of the village, in 1853, at a cost of $24,500. It was finally closed and removed in 1865. Mr. John Van Liew was the first principal, and Mr. J. P. Lansing the last one. There is a good public school in the village, under the direction of Mr. A. S. Griffin. The district propose soon to erect a new school house, commensurate with the wants of the school, at a cost of $2,000.
The first settlement was made in 1760, in the south-west part of the town, by Andrew Loucks, Conrad Engle, Philip Hooker aod Peter Young. These families came from Ehiriebeck. Among the other early settlers were John C. McNeil, Wm. Caldwell, John Sweetman, Aaron Howard, Teunis Van Camp, Mathias Cass and Lodowyck Primer. Judge Brown, author of History of Schoharie, was an early settler of this town and the first justice of the peace. Benjamin Johnson was the first constable. The first grist mill was erected by John Brown, in the north-east part of the town, about a mile and a half from Grovenor's Corners. It was nick-named "Samp Mortar." The first saw mill was erected at what is now Becker's Corners, by Thomas Kinyon. The first school house was erected at Grovenor's Corners. There is only one grist mill in the town ; this is located near Argusville and is owned by Schermerhorn & Dey.