Ridgeway, once known locally as Ridgeway Corners, had as its first owners Eli Moore and Joseph l. Perry about 1811. John Brown came about 1814. The first house was built by Eli Moore and was used for a tavern and a store. Previous to 1820 the village contained a tavern, currier, blacksmith, boot and shoe shops, doctors and lawyers offices, and several other buildings. A post office was established in Ridgeway in 1816 under the name of Oak Orchard with Elijah Hawley as postmaster.