Knowlesville (located along the Erie Canal) took its name from the pioneer settler and founder of the place, William Knowles. In 1825 he built the first warehouse in the place, and in it the first store was kept by William Van Dorn. In the same year Nathan S. Wood and O. H. Gardner opened other stores here. In 1825 Moses Huxley kept a small grocery store on the bank of the canal, and in 1840 he opened another of the same kind. In 1830 Andrew Betts was engaged in tanning and shoemaking here. Blacksmithing was carried on by Daniel Batty, and the carpenter and joiner trade by Henry Ryan. Mr Knowles built an ashery in 1816. In 1827 he shipped the first boatload of wheat from Orleans County. The first school house at this place was built in 1817.