banner search whats new site index home

West Barre


The first settler in what became West Barre was Benson Manchester, from whom the locality was originally called Manchester's Corners. Later it became known as Jackson's Corners, from Ralph Jackson, another pioneer, but with the establishment of the post office there it was generally referred to as West Barre, its official name. It was for some years the residence of Reverend Allen Steele, a distinguished clergyman of the M. E. Church. In the 1890s the place contained a church, a store, a blacksmith and a post office with Frank Gray as postmaster. [1]

  1. Signor, Hon. Isaac S., editor, Landmarks of Orleans County New York, D. Mason & Company publishers, Syracuse, 1894

West Barre Map

Street Names
Eagle Harbor Road • Hemlock Ridge Road • Route 15

**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2017 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 215-295-6555 • 137408 • Privacy