Brinckerhoff, called also Brinckerhoffville, once an important community with grist mill, church, academy, and general store, has lost all but the store. The village took its name from the Brinckerhoff family, the first to settle in this region. Derick Brinckerhoff came from Long Island and purchased 2,000 acres of land from Madam Brett in 1718. During the Revolution Abram Brinckerhoff kept a store: the building, though remodeled and greatly changed, was still standing in 1937. When tea became scarce during the war, Brinckerhoff was well supplied and took advantage of the scarcity to profiteer. An army of 100 indignant housewives of Fishkill and Beekman, commanded by Vrouw Catharine Schutt and marching in military order, drew up before the store and demanded tea at the lawful price of six shillings per pound. Threatened with the destruction of his stock, Brinckerhoff quickly met the demands of the housewives.