Halcottville (Halcottsville) was named in honor of its first merchant, Matthew Halcott, who was one of the prominent businessmen of Middletown early in the (19th) century. The Ulster & Delaware Railroad passed through the village. In 1898 it contained a hotel, two general stores, a grange store, a large mill, and a flour and feed store. A Methodist church was built in the 1890s with Reverend R. S. Beckett in charge. A dam formed across the East Branch of the Delaware River created Lake Wawaka at this location. Also in the village at this time were a Baptist Church and a new school building.