Arkville derived its name from an incident in the history of one of its oldest houses. In the time of a heavy freshet this house was the only one that was not disturbed by the water that came through the valley. Its location on a high knoll, coupled with being the home of one Noah Dimmick, gave it the name of the ark, from which the name of the hamlet is borrowed. Arkville in 1898 contained four stores, the Commercial House and Cole's hotel, a graded school with two departments, a Methodist church, and a saw and planing mill. Situated on the Ulster and Delaware Railroad, it was the principal depot for farm produce for the western portion of the town of Middletown, and the eastern terminus of one of the then remaining old time stage routes connecting the Ulster & Delaware with the Ontario & Western at Delhi, 25 miles distant. Several boarding houses for the accommodation of summer guests were typically filled through the summer and fall months. .