Brinkerhoff Street Historic District
The Brinkerhoff Street Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the documentation for the Plattsburgh Multiple Resource Area.  Adaptation copyright © 2010, the Gombach Group.
The Brinkerhoff Street Historic District is a one block residential district of 13 properties located between Oak Street and North Catherine Street, immediately west of Plattsburgh's commercial center. The Brinkerhoff Street Historic District generally consists of one and one-half/two-story brick or frame residences built between 1845 and 1890 and is characterized by a common scale and massing of buildings. All houses are located relatively near the street behind small front yards. The buildings exhibit a range of architectural details including bracketed cornices, decorative porches, molded lintels and two-story bay windows. The following properties are included within the Brinkerhoff Street Historic District, and all are contributing buildings:
The Brinkerhoff Street Historic District is a significant group of structures reflecting the mid-nineteenth century architectural tastes of Plattsburgh's middle class. Generally built by local merchants, manufacturers, and professionals, the houses are substantial brick or frame structures built as vernacular adaptations of Greek Revival, Italianate, Second Empire, Eclectic and Colonial Revival designs. The Brinkerhoff Street Historic District retains integrity of design, setting and materials and is the best example of a middle-class residential neighborhood surviving from its period in the city of Plattsburgh. Among the most notable structures in the Brinkerhoff Street Historic District are numbers 65 and 67, a pair of one and one-half story houses with decorative slate mansard roofs, and number 59, an important Eclectic frame residence which retains a wealth of Eastlake detail decorated in its Victorian polychrome color scheme.