This village, situated on the Upper Beaverdam, has a population of 70 . It was known as Werner's Mills when the town was organized, and took its present name from the establishment of a post-office in 1825. It is known locally as "Philley," a name given by Elnathan Stafford, who kept a small tavern in the neighborhood in 1820, and purchased his liquors in Philadelphia.
Nathaniel Albert and Benjamin Gallup started in the mercantile business here in 1825; and Stephen Willes, who had long controlled the trade in that part of town, started also a store on the opposite side of the street. A Masonic Lodge was started in the village in 1868 with 15 members.