The village of Wrightsville was originally a small hamlet, situated north of Imlaystown, at a four corner crossroads, in the neighborhood of which a number of families by the name of Wright resided. The original settlers were mostly Friends who belonged to Chesterfield Monthly Meeting at Crosswicks. A meeting house was built in 1738 and used until 1816 when a brick church was erected. In the old graveyard are buried members of the families Taylor, Combs, Woodward, Wright, Folwell, Potts, Fields, Tantum, Hendrickson, Craft, and others. In March, 1833, a Methodist church erected on land of Samuel G. Wright was used for worship for about twelve years and then abandoned.