Tyrrell County North Carolina
The Tyrrell County administrative offices are located at 108 South Water Street, Columbia, NC 27925; phone: 252-796-1371. The County Courthouse is located at 403 Main Street, Columbia, NC 27925; phone: 252-796-2901.
Tyrrell County was established in 1729. In 1870 the county's size was reduced with the creation of Dare, Martin and Washington counties. It was named for Sir John Tyrrell [1685-1729] who was one of the Lords Proprietors of North Carolina.
Elizabethtown, later renamed Columbia, was established on the banks of the Scuppernong River in 1793 and became the Tyrrell County seat in 1799.