Rutherfordton Town Hall is located at 129 North Main Street, Rutherfordton, NC 28139; phone: 828-287-3520.
Rutherfordton was created in 1787 to serve as the county seat for Rutherford County. The town and the county were named for General Griffith Rutherford [1721-1805]. A post office was established here in 1798, the first in the western part of the State. A gold mint operated here during the 1830s and 1840s. An iron foundry that manufactured ammunition for the Confederate Army was located on Cleghorn Creek. After the Civil War, Confederate General Collette Leventhorpe took up residence in Rutherfordton. One of North Carolina's most prolific 20th century architects, Louis H. Asbury, designed the Rutherford County Courthouse and the Norris Public Library. Rutherfordton contains the only remaining cluster of antebellum houses and public structures in the southern foothills of North Carolina. [Town of Rutherfordton, History, www.rutherfordtown.com, accessed January, 2012]