Montgomery County North Carolina
The Montgomery County Courthouse is located at 108 East Main Street, Troy, NC 27371; phone: 910-575-4211.
Montgomery County was established in 1779. The first county commissioners were Henry Munger, Walton Harris and James Pickett and they were appointed to establish a boundary between Montgomery and Anson counties. West Harris, James Allen, Edmund Lilly and James Roper were appointed to contract for 50 acres of land to establish a county seat that would include a courthouse, prison and stocks.
The first county seat was Tinsdale (or Tindalsville) on the west bank of the river. Among the many roving county seats are references to Blakely, Henderson, Stokes and Lawrenceville. Tindalsville was wiped out by an epidemic of typhoid fever. The roving county seats were burned and their county records lost. Because of the controversy regarding the courthouse location, the county was divided in 1842 using the Pee Dee River as the boundary line. This bill was ratified January 1843. The same year the courthouse at Lawrenceville was burned and a decision was made to move the county seat to Troy, which was then known as West Old Fields.