Jones County North Carolina
Jones County administrative offices are located at 418 Highway 58 North, Trenton, NC 28585; phone: 252-448-7571.
Jones County was formed in 1779 and named in honor of Willie Jones of Halifax, an important Revolutionary leader in North Carolina, a president of the Council of Safety, and the arch anti-federalist in the state. The county was formed from Craven County; the area had always focused upon the Craven County seat, New Bern, and much of the land in the new county was owned by New Bern men. The Jones County area had been settled early in the eighteenth century: as early as 1709 the Lawson map showed "Mr. Jones 4000 acres," and the 1733 Mosely map showed Mr. Frederick Jones 7,375 acres.