banner search whats new site index home

Southwest Holly Springs Historic District


Dunvegan (Cochran Place) ca. 1845, West Gholson Avenue, Holly Springs, MS.

Photo: Dunvegan (Cochran Place) ca. 1845, West Gholson Avenue, Holly Springs, MS. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Photographed by user:Jerrye and Roy Klotz, MD, 2008, (own work) [cc-by-4.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed March, 2016.

The Southwest Holly Springs Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. [†] Adaptation copyright © 2011, The Gombach Group.

Description

The fifty-acre Southwest Holly Springs Historic District is an irregularly shaped neighborhood located south and west of the Holly Springs Courthouse Square Historic District. The area south of the square is laid out in a well-defined grid plan which assumes a less formal pattern west of Craft Street. The Southwest Holly Springs Historic District is characterized by tree-lined streets and large, well-landscaped yards. Each of the eighty properties located within the Southwest Holly Springs Historic District is used for residential purposes.

Significance

The Southwest Holly Springs Historic District is the second largest of the community's three architecturally significant residential neighborhoods. Outstanding examples of Holly Springs' pre-Civil War Greek Revival architecture dominate the neighborhood, including the Walter Place (West Chulahoma Avenue), Fort Daniel Place (West Gholson Avenue), Fleur-de-Lis (South Memphis Street) and The Mimosas (also known as Evergreen, South Craft Street). Some of the oldest extant homes in the town, built as log dogtrots in the 1830s, and subsequently enlarged and remodeled later in the nineteenth century are located on West Gholson Avenue (Crump Place) and West Chulahoma Avenue (Alicia, Ciffawa, Box Hill, and The Holly, also known as Governor Matthews House). Featherston-Buchanan House and Polk-Cochran Place (both on South Craft Street) and Dunvegan (also known as Norfleet-Cochran House on West Gholson Avenue) were remodeled with distinctive Georgian Revival details by St. Louis architect Theodore C. Link, initially commissioned by Oscar Johnson, president of the International Shoe Company in St. Louis, to remodel the interior of his Holly Springs home, Walter Place. Locally significant examples of vernacular architectural styles, including Italianate cottages, Bungalows and Folk houses, add greatly to the character of the Southwest Holly Springs Historic District. No intrusions detract from the integrity of the area; even those structures listed as marginal maintain the scale and rhythm of the streetscape.

Southwest Holly Springs Historic District, Marshall County, MS, nomination document, NR# 83000963, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.

Southwest Holly Springs Historic District Map

Street Names
Center Street South • Chulahoma Avenue West • Craft Street South • Elder Avenue West • Gholson Avenue West • Memphis Street South • Route 4

**Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. You should independently verify any information you use for decision making.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 215-295-6555 • 171376 • Privacy