Center Village District
"The Center Village District includes 110 early buildings and homes dating from 1727 to 1961, which include architectural styles of Cape style, Colonial, Classical Revival, Colonial Revival, Federal, Greek Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne, Victorian Eclectic, and Ranch. The Center Village is a quiet residential area of this earliest town in Worcester County. The district extends eight-tenths of a mile along Main Street from the Sprague-Vose Bridge over the Nashua River to the northern end of Main Street joining Route 117 near the North Village. Center Village District includes the beautiful center green, which is an unusual quadrangle upon which one side is Main Street, and on the opposite side stands the Thayer Memorial Library, the Prescott Building (Center School), and on the south side stands the Georgian Colonial Town Hall and on the north side stands the neoclassical First Church of Christ (photo), designed by Charles Bulfinch as the Fifth Meeting House, listed on the National Register of Historic Landmarks.