Nez Perce County Idaho
The Nez Perce County Courthouse is located at 1230 Main Street, Lewiston, ID 83501; phone: 208-799-3020.
Established in 1864 by the Idaho Territorial Legislature, the county seat is located at Lewiston. The county is named for the Nez Perce Indians who occupied the area before white settlement. This was one of the four original Idaho counties in 1863 from which all 44 have been carved. The present boundaries of Nez Perce County were set in 1911. Lewis and Clark were the first white men in the area in 1805. Lewiston served as the territorial capital for twenty-two months before the capital was moved to Boise. [www.idaho.gove, accessed May, 2012]