Richmond County Georgia
The Richmond County Courthouse is located at 735 James Brown Boulevard, Augusta, GA 30901; phone: 706-821-1167.
Richmond County, one of the eight original counties in Georgia, was formed from St. Paul's Parish in 1777. The county was named in honor of the Duke of Richmond, Charles Lenos, a friend of some of the settlers in America. Columbia and McDuffie Counties were later formed from parts of Richmond County. During the American Revolution, the British used Augusta as a communications center. When Light Horse Harry Lee captured Augusta in 1781, the British had to relinquish their claim to most of Georgia. Augusta then served as the capital of Georgia from 1785 to 1795.
Tobacco was the dominant cash crop in the early years of the county. The invention of the cotton gin made cotton a more profitable crop than tobacco. Eli Whitney, the inventor of the cotton gin, built one of his early prototypes on Rocky Creek in the county. By 1820, the Augusta area was the terminus for riverboats, barges, wagon trains, and traders carrying staples and produce to be shipped to overseas markets.