The original name of this historic village was Hitchcocksville, named for Lambert Hitchcock who came from Cheshire in 1818. Hitchcock started a turning lathe and saw mill here. He made chair parts which he took to Charleston, S.C. where they were assembled and sold. He returned a year later and expanded his business which, by 1829, employed about 100 people. The village was renamed Riverton in 1866.