About Living Places
Everyone lives somewhere, and sooner or later the suspicion that somewhere else is better disturbs the peace of home. (Tracy Kidder, Home Town, 2012)
A Quarter of a Century
Living Places was conceived in 1996 as a means to provide information for location independent home buyers looking to discover historic towns and neighborhoods. The first version of the website became publicly available online in February of 1997. Through the years the focus has been altered from time to time, but the main interest remains primarily historic homes, especially those located in local & national historic districts.
As of October, 2021, Living Places offers various information on more than 3,300 historic districts and historic structures in addition to more than 7,000 newer neighborhoods that are primarily residential. Also found here is summary info on all 50 States, over 1,400 U.S. Counties and more than 5,000 towns (cities, towns, townships, villages, boroughs). Many pages cover features and amenities (rivers and greenways for example) that are important to the residents of various locations. See our Site Index for a variety of indices to help you browse various places and categories.
Summary of the Website Categories
- States with descriptions and links to: counties, county seats, and arbitraty links to some features, contexts, etc.
- Counties with names and links to cities/towns, historic, districts, homes and other sites.
- Towns with links to neighborhoods and nearby towns.
- Neighborhoods with links to map location, nearby towns and streets contained within the neighborhood.
- Streets indexed by street name with links to U.S. towns and neighborhoods that share the name.
- Features including rivers, architectural styles, geographic contexts, etc.
- Indexes lists with links such as National Register Historic Districts, Streetcar Suburbs, neighborhoods by builder name, neighborhoods by type of home, neighborhoods by context (such as vintaga homes), etc.
- Planned: professional residential real estate news and sales statistics