William LaBarthe Steele
William LaBarthe Steele, Architect [1875-1949]
William LaBarthe Steele [†] was born in Springfield, Illinois and received his training at the University of Illinois, graduating in 1896 with a Bachelor of Science degree in architecture and engineering. Mr. Steele was employed in the office of Louis Sullivan for three years following graduation. After a brief partnership, Steele, in 1906, opened his own office in Sioux City, quickly becoming the city's most prominent architect. Steele designed numerous Prairie style buildings in Sioux City including the Woodbury County Courthouse (1916-1918), the First Congregational Church (1918), Knights of Columbus Hall, (1926) Livestock National Bank (c. 1920) and several public libraries.
† James D. Gagler, Architect Intern and Joni Gilkerson, Preservation Associate, Nebraska State Historical Society, City Hall and Auditorium (Harrington Municipal Building), Cedar County, Nebraska, nomination document, 1983, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
The Gombach Group • 215-295-6555 • www.gombach.com