banner search whats new site index home

Frank Lockwood

Frank Lockwood, Architect [1865-1936]

With a prolific career that included designs in the style of Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Italian Renaissance and Tudor, Frank Lockwood is considered by architectural historians to be one of the most accomplished Alabama architects of the late 19th and early 20th Century. Lockwood was born in Trenton, New Jersey in 1866, and although no record exists of any formal architectural training, he was an apprentice for several years in the New York office of George B. Post. In the late 1880s or early 1890s Lockwood moved to Columbus, Georgia, where he set up a firm and was joined in partnership by his brother Thomas in 1892 (Brown, 1994.) Lockwood left Columbus by the mid-1890s and came to Montgomery, where he resided until his death in 1936. Several fine residences in the Silk Stocking National Register Historic District in Talladega, Alabama contemporary with the Bell House have been attributed to Lockwood, including the circa 1890 Dr. Wren house and the 1890 Boswell-Thackerson House (National Register of Historic Places Nomination for Silk Stocking District, 1978, Section 8 Page 1.) His most notable project was his design with Charles McKim for an addition to the Alabama State Capitol in 1905 (Gamble, Robert, "Frank Lockwood: Montgomery's 'Edwardian' Architect," p. 5.) [1]

  1. E. Patrick McIntyre, Jr., and Trina Binkley, AHC Reviewer, Bell House, Autauga County, Alabama, nomination document, 1998, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.

Living Places information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Copyright © 1997-2016
The Gombach Group • 215-295-6555 •