Brandon Smith, Architect [1889-1962]
Brandon Smith [†], a prominent architect of the Beaux-Arts tradition for a time with Paul Bartholomew beginning in 1915. Smith studied architecture at Carnegie Institute of Technology. In 1923, he designed the Fox Chapel Golf Club with Bartholomew, followed by the Citizens National Bank Building in Latrobe. By 1928, Smith formed his own firm of Smith and Reif and designed the Edgeworth Club in Pittsburgh in 1929. He continued to work through the depression with a number of commissions for private residences in Pittsburgh and Greensburg, including the McKelvey House in Squirrel Hill and the Charles Lynch House, Starboard Light, in Greensburg. Smith retired and moved to Florida in 1950 where he continued to take on projects until his death in 1962.
† Mr. Clinton Piper, Preservation Consultant, Citizens National Bank, Westmoreland County, PA, nomination document, 2002, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
The Gombach Group • 215-295-6555 • www.gombach.com