Lewis County West Virginia
Lewis County administrative offices are located at 110 Center Avenue and 117 Court Avenue, Weston, WV 26452; phone: 304-269-8200.
Lewis County West Virginia is located in north central West Virginia. It is bordered by Harrison County to the north, Upshur County to the east, Webster County to the south, Braxton County to the south and southwest, Gilmer County to the west, and Doddridge County to the northwest.
The county has two municipalities: the City of Weston is the county seat and is located near the center of the county while the Town of Jane Lew is located in the northern edge of the county. There are also many unincorporated communities located within the county, including Aberdeen, Alkires Mills, Alum Bridge, Arnold, Aspinall, Bablin, Bealls Mills, Bendale, Bennett, Berlin, Brownsville, Butchersville, Camden, Churchville, Copley, Cox Town, Crawford, Deanville, Duffy, Emmart, Fink, Finster, Freemansburg, Gaston, Georgetown, Gillooly, Homeland, Homewood, Horner, Hurst, Ireland, Jackson Heights, Jacksons Mill, Jacksonville, Jewell, Kitsonville, Lightburn, McGuire Park, Orlando, Peterson, Pickle Street, Roanoke, Rohrbough, Shady Brook, South Park, Sunset Acres, Turnertown, Valley Chapel, Vadis, Vandalia, Waldeck, Walkersville, Westfield, Wildcat, and Wymer.
The county was formed in 1816 when it was split from Harrison County in what was then Virginia. It was named for Colonel James Lewis, a leader of the Virginia Pioneers, who was killed in 1774 in the Battle of Point Pleasant during Lord Dunmore's War (a conflict between colonists and Native American Indians).
Lewis County gave up parts of its territory to form Braxton County in 1836, Barbour County in 1843, Doddridge County in 1845, Gilmer County in 1845, and Upshur County in 1851. The county became part of the new state of West Virginia in 1863 when the western counties broke away from Virginia.