Sutton Town Hall is located at 450 Fourth Street, Sutton, WV 26601; phone: 304-765-5581.
Sutton was first settled in 1792 by Adam O'Brien, from Bath County Virginia. Other settlers followed O'Brien. In 1809 John D. Sutton settled at the confluence of Granny's Creek and the Elk River, within the current boundaries of the downtown. His nephew Felix also came to the settlement, along with others, including, Gustavius Taylor, and Andrew Skidmore. The village of Suttonville, formerly known as Newville, was laid out in 1835 and named for John D. Sutton.
Sutton was situated at the confluence of major transportation routes. The Elk River was navigable at times all the way to Charleston. The Weston to Gauley Bridge Turnpike, chartered in 1848, connected the Staunton to Parkersburg Turnpike in the center of the state to the Kanawha River Valley and the Kanawha James River Road. A wire suspension bridge was constructed across the Elk River on the Turnpike in 1853. Portions of the stone cable anchors still stand in Sutton.