Shorewood Village Hall is located at 3930 North Murray Avenue, Shorewood, WI 53211; phone: 414-847-2700.
Known as Mechanicsville when platted in 1836, the village was named East Milwaukee when incorporated in 1900. The name was changed in 1917 for its location on the shore of Lake Michigan.
A man named Lueddemann established a resort here in 1872. It was the beginning of a series of amusement parks that stretched from the River to Oakland Avenue. It was Coney Island Park that prompted the break of East Milwaukee from the Town of Milwaukee in 1900.
City dwellers who had begun to settle in the area were dissatisfied with Milwaukee's lack of attention to road improvement, and they were reluctant to pay taxes to the town on the thriving amusement parks, to say nothing of the raucous visitors who were far more disturbing than previous enterprises.