Wausau City Hall is located at 407 Grant Street, Wausau, WI 54403; phone: 715-261-6500.
The city of Wausau  stretches east and west from the Wisconsin River in what was called the "Wisconsin Pinery" in the 1830's. The vast white pine forest attracted the attention of St. Louis lumber merchants who sent George Stevens to survey the river islands and nearby Big Bull Falls, a twenty foot drop in the river. By 1839 Stevens had built the first sawmill, dam and guard lock. When Marathon County was created in 1850, the growing settlement of Big Bull Falls supported four sawmills, a population of 350 and one "street" along the river. In 1867 the city whose name had changed to Wausau ("faraway place" in Chippewa) was still centered in ten or twelve blocks east of the river. A street by street description of buildings at the time mentions only shanties in what is now the Warren District.