Sammamish City Hall is located at 801 228th Avenue, SE, Sammamish, WA 98075; phone: 425-295-0500.
The town of Monohon, Washington, located in the present-day site of the City of Sammamish, was founded by Martin Monohon, who homesteaded the area in 1877. Lumber and milling operations contributed to the financial success of the community along the eastern shore of Lake Sammamish.
The Allen and Nelson Mill Company was established in the community of Monohon in 1889 by Watson Allen, James D. Houghton, and James H. Watson. The mill's cutting capacity was 120,000 board feet per day and the plant included fifty houses for employees and a 20-room hotel. Other mills established in the vicinity included the Lake Sammamish Lumber and Shingle Company, incorporated in 1892, and Lake Sammamish Shingle Company, incorporated in 1901.
The mills facilitated other business ventures in the area, including logging camps, a wood-turning shop, and a boat and canoe company. Educational services in the early 1900s to the Monohon residents included a school with eight grades, where church services were held on Sundays. The area surrounding the mill town was populated with farms and summer residences.
In the 1900s, lumber companies also owned the land around Beaver Lake, located in southeast Sammamish. According to a 1912 map, the Weyerhaeuser Timber Company owned large tracts of land on the south and northeast ends of the lake, and the Allen Nelson Company owned a parcel that dominated most of the lakes western shore.
The name Sammamish is derived from two Northwest Indian words: samena, meaning "hunter" and mish, meaning "people."