Newfane Town Hall is located at 555 Route 30, Newfane VT 05435; phone: 802-365-7772.
The town was chartered on June 19, 1753 by Governor Benning Wentworth, who named it Fane after John Fane, the 7th Earl of Westmoreland. It was first settled about 1766 by several Massachusetts families. Both the town and village are considered the county seat. Village affairs generally fall under the Town's administration, though the village proper has additional taxing authority for improvements targeted to within its boundaries.