Jamaica Town Hall is located at 17 Pikes Falls Road, Jamaica, VT 05343; phone: 802-874-4681.
The Charter for the Town of Jamaica was given by the Vermont General Assembly in 1780 to Colonel Samuel Fletcher, of Townshend, and 67 associates, several whom were at that time already settled in the territory, several prominent State officials, and citizens of Newfane and Dummerston. In 1880 Jamaica had a population of 1,253, and in 1882 had 10 school districts and 11 common schools employing 20 teachers.
The first clearing made in the town was in 1775 by William Hayward (Howard), of Townshend, and his sons Caleb and Silas. They erected houses in their clearings, into which they moved in 1777, Caleb on the bank of the West River, east of Wardsboro depot, and Silas on the hill to the north, supposing, however, that they were located in Townshend, and Silas was sent as the first representative in the general assembly from Townshend in 1780. The town line being run the next year, 1781, however, proved that he was a citizen of Jamaica. In 1780 there were 11 or 12 families in the town, 7 of whom were Haywards, and in 1791 the population had increased to 263.
The first town meeting was held September 3, 1781, at the house of William Hayward. William Hanson Church was chosen town clerk.