Hinesburg Town Hall is located at 10632 Route 116, Hinesburg, VT 05461; phone: 802-482-2281.
The Town of Hinesburg was chartered in 1762. Andrew Burritt was the only one of the original grantees to reside in the town. He settled on his original right in the southeastern part of the town where he lived to be 96. His wife lived to be 95. His son, Tilly W., occupied the Burritt farm for many years after his parents' passing.
The only settlers known to have lived in the town prior to the American Revolution were Isaac Lawrence, from Canaan, Connecticut, and Abner Chaffee. Lawrence was granted 100 acres of land by the proprietors in consideration of services rendered in building roads, and settled about 3/4ths of a mile north of the village of Hinesburg. Abner Chaffee lived at the south end of the village.
Arrivals in 1795 included: George McEuen, from New Milford, Connecticut, George Palmer, from Stonington, Connecticut, Elisha Meech, Eliphaz and George Steele, Thomas Place, Thomas Butler, Joseph Wilcox, Thomas McFarland and Elkanah Billings.