Colchester Town Hall is located at 781 Blakely Road, Colchester, VT 05446; phone: 802-264-5500.
Colchester was chartered while still a part of New Hampshire, in 1763. The Winooski River forms the town's southern boundary.
In 1880 there were about 4,400 inhabitants in Colchester; the town was divided into 3 school districts and had 12 common schools.
The first persons to take possession under the charter of Colchester were Ira Allen and his cousin, Remember Baker, in the fall of 1772. In the spring of 1773, Baker brought his family into town, consisting of his wife and 3 children. Allen was young, unmarried, and lived with them as a member of their family. Other early settlers included: Joseph Fuller, Henry Colvin, Joshua Stanton, Abel Hulburt, Abel Benedict, and Captain Thomas Darwin.
A First Congregational Church was organized in 1804 by Reverend Benjamin Wooster. The initial membership consisted of 8 people: Timothy Farrand, Friend Farrand, Nathan Wheeler, Polly Deming, Elizabeth Wheeler, Desire Wolcott, Lydia Austin, and a Mrs. Downing. Other churches followed: First Baptist Church, 1820; First M. E. Church, 1861; Saint Francis Xavier Roman Catholic Church, 1868; Saint Stephens Roman Catholic Church, 1871; Trinity Episcopal Church, 1873.