banner search whats new site index home

Harrisonburg City

The Harrisonburg Municipal Building is located at 345 South Main Street, Harrisonburg VA 22801; phone: 540-432-7701.

Anthony Hockman House, ca. 1871, East Market and Broad Streets, Harrisonburg, VA, National Register

Photo: Anthony Hockman House, ca. 1871, East Market and Broad Streets, Harrisonburg, VA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Photographed by User:Strawser (own work), 2013, [cc-by-3.0 (], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed September, 2016.

Harrisonburg, an independent city, serves also as the seat of government for Rockingham County.

Harrisonburg was founded by Thomas Harrison, who, with his wife Sarah, had settled about 1739 at this point where the Indian Road crossed the Spotswood Trail. In 1779 the couple conveyed land to the county for the erection of a courthouse, and the following year Harrison procured the passage of an act establishing the town. Popularly known in its infancy as Rocktown, the settlement grew rapidly, fostered by Harrison's sons Reuben and Robert, who supplied lands in 1797 for municipal expansion. In 1794 Bishop Asbury started a Methodist school here, in which not only were gaming and 'instruments of music' outlawed, but no scholar was 'permitted on any account whatever to wear Ruffles or powder his hair.' [1]

  1. Works Progress Administration, Federal Writers' Program, Virginia: A Guide to the Old Dominion, American Guide Series, New York, Oxford University Press, 1940.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 13483 • Privacy