Martinsville City Hall is located at 55 West Church Street, Martinsville, VA 24112; phone: 276-403-5000.
In 1793, the county seat was moved to a little village called "Henry Courthouse" and was soon named Martinsville to honor General Joseph Martin who was a prominent leader in the American Revolution and in the establishment of Southwest Virginia. In 1773, Martin was commissioned a Brigadier General of the 12th Brigade of the Virginia Militia by Governor Henry Lee. In 1774, he was commissioned by Lord Dunsmore as a lieutenant under Colonel Abram Penn. He moved against the Cherokee Indians in the Carolinas. In 1780, he helped draw up treaties for the King's Mountain campaign. Between 1791 and 1799, he was elected to serve as the Henry County representative to the Virginia Legislature. In 1795, he was appointed one of three Virginians to help settle the disputed boundary line between Virginia and Kentucky. In 1798, he served as an advisor to President Madison.
In 1873, Martinsville was incorporated as a town. The town government was set up much like it is today with the mayor and the eight councilmen elected by the people, and the clerk, assessor, health officer, superintendent of utilities and streets, and the Board of Managers (composed of three councilmen) appointed by the elected officials. Martinsville declared itself an independent city in 1928, while still retaining its status as the county seat. The original Henry County Courthouse was built in 1824, being the second County courthouse in the area. In 1911, the County courthouse was renovated and the jail was completed on the square. In October 1996, a new County courthouse was constructed on Kings Mountain Road in the County and in October 1974 a jail facility was completed adjacent to the Henry County Administration Building.