Holladay City Hall is located at 4580 South 2300 East, Holladay, UT 84117; phone: 801-272-9450.
In the Fall of 1847, just months after the arrival of the first Mormon settlers in the Great Salt Lake Valley, several men established residence in crude dugouts along Spring Creek, about 8 miles southeast of Salt Lake City. The following spring they were joined by other families and over time the surrounding land was divided and an agricultural community began to take shape. Early on the area was known as Big Cottonwood or Holladay's Burgh, but eventually it became simply Holladay. Throughout the 19th century and into the early 20th century the community grew and developed basic businesses, such as general stores and a blacksmith shop, as well as institutions such as schools and churches.
Nevertheless, Holladay remained a relatively diffused rural agricultural community far into the 20th century, dependent on Salt Lake City for most business, banking, and governmental functions. This isolation was due in large part to the fact that Holladay was some distance from Salt Lake City and connected to it only by poor roads. Even as the roads improved, a trip to Salt Lake reportedly took an hour by good horse and buggy and longer by team and wagon.
In the first part of the 20th century, Holladay became more closely tied to the city. In 1912 a streetcar line was completed out to the center of Holladay, near the intersection of 4800 South and Holladay Boulevard. Furthermore, as automobiles became more affordable and popular, roads were improved to accommodate traffic.
Following World War II the growth of suburban communities in Salt Lake County accelerated and those who could afford to increasingly chose to live in the suburbs. Since that time, the transformation of Holladay from an agricultural community to a suburban section within the Salt Lake City metropolitan area has been complete. The reality of this transformation is perhaps symbolized by the fact that Holladay finally incorporated in 1999.