banner search whats new site index home

Kaufman City

Kaufman City Hall is located at 209 South Washington Street, Kaufman, TX 75142; phone: 972-932-2216.

In 1940 Kaufman was described as "... a quiet town of old residences set in shady grounds; it has a cottonseed oil mill and other industrial plants." [1]

Originally named Kingsboro, the name was changed when it became the county seat in 1851. The town was incorporated in 1872 and was re-incorporated in 1881 due to issues and conflicts regarding Civil War Reconstruction. By 1884 Kaufman had 1,000 residents and 2 railroad lines. A bank was opened in the late 1880s and a second one in 1892. By 1900 the town had 3 newspapers, more than 50 businesses and a population of approximately 2,300. [2]

  1. Works Projects Administration, Federal Works Agency, Federal Writers' Program, Texas: A Guide to the Lone Star State, American Guide Series, Texas State Highway Commission, 1940.
  2. Texas State Historical Association, Kaufman, TX, www.tshaonline.org, accessed August, 2013.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 31745