banner search whats new site index home

Edinburg City

Edinburg City Hall is located at 415 West University Drive, Edinburg, TX 78541; phone: 956-388-8207.

Originally named Chapin, the county seat was renamed Edinburg due to the town's involvement in a homicide in 1911.

Edinburg as described in 1940 [1]

Edinburg, fringed with swaying plams and fragrant orchards, ahs many fine residences and an elaborate school system. Here is one of the largest car-icing plants in the Southwest, for the handling of perishable fruits and vegetables on long hauls to distant markets.

South of Edinburg the is a region of extensive cultivation. Citrus groves line the highways for miles, broad fields sweep away on both sides, and here and there the gleam of water marks a freshly irrigated tract or the geometrial course of the ever-present canals that have made this prolific cultivation possible.

  1. Works Projects Administration, Federal Works Agency, Federal Writers' Program, Texas: A Guide to the Lone Star State, American Guide Series, Texas State Highway Commission, 1940.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 40046