banner search whats new site index home

Coppell City

Coppell City Hall is located at 255 Parkway Boulevard, Coppell, TX 75019; phone: 972-304-3618.

Beginnings [1]

In 1832 a farming community named "Grapevine Springs" was organized in the vicinity of the present-day Grapevine Springs Park. By 1873 the community became known as "Gibbs" in honor of former Texas Senator and Lieutenant Governor, Barnett Gibbs. In 1890 the name was again changed, this time to "Coppell," probably after George Coppell who was a prominent businessman closely associated with many railroads. In 1892 the train-stop town officially changed the name of its post office from Gibbs to Coppell. In 1893 Coppell had 4 stores, a lumber yard, a blacksmith shop, a cotton gin and a school. By the 1930s Coppell's population surpassed 400 residents. Coppell was finally incorporated as a city in 1955.

  1. City of Coppell, Texas, A Brief History of Coppell, Texas,, accessed October, 2011.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 19345