Germantown City Hall is located at 1930 Germantown Road, Germantown, TN 38138; phone: 901-757-7200.
The area that would become Germantown was first settled ca. 1825 when Frances Wright established a community called Nashoba Plantation. It was created as a utopian development for emancipated slaves. By 1833 it became known as Pea Ridge; in 1834 a town was platted. The name was changed to Germantown in 1836 because of the abundance of German settlers. Germantown was incorporated in 1841. In 1852 the Memphis/Charleston Railroad came through the area. [www.germantown-tn.gov, accessed July, 2015.