banner search whats new site index home

Clinton City

Clinton City Hall is located at 100 North Bowling Street, Clinton, TN 37716; phone: 865-457-0424.

The town was founded as Burrville in 1801, named for Aaron Burr, and designated the county seat of the newly-formed Anderson County. The Burr-Hamilton duel of 1804 brought disgrace to the "Burr" name, thus, in 1809 the name of the town was changed to Clinton. While it is not known for certain for whom the name was chosen, most historians agree that it was to honor George Clinton [1739-1812] who replaced Aaron Burr as Jefferson's running mate for the 1804 presidential election.

Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 24226