banner search whats new site index home

Easley City

Easley City Hall is located at 205 North 1st Street, Easley, SC 29641; phone: 864-855-7900.

Beginnings [1]

The town of Easley was incorporated in 1873 immediately following the completion of the Atlanta and Charlotte (Air Line) Railroad and was named for William King Easley, a director of the railroad, who was originally from the area. The railroad depot, at the north side of the railroad at Table Rock (now Pendleton) and Main Streets, provided the impetus for the development of the downtown including 2 hotels and several brick retail structures along both streets. [2] The opening of the Easley Cotton Mill in 1900 and the Glenwood Cotton Mill in 1902 stimulated further growth of the town.[3]

  1. Robert W. Bainbridge, AIA with Dr. Judith Bainbridge, Sandro Scetti and Christopher Knopf, Clemson University, Easley High School Auditorium, Pickens County, South Carolina, nomination document, 1998, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
  2. Sanborn Insurance Map, 1909.
  3. Preface to the Easley City Directory, 1954.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 19371