Stewartstown Borough Hall is located at 6 North Main Street, Stewartstown PA 17363; phone: 717-993-2963.
Incorporated from Hopewell Township in 1851. Named for Anthony Stewart, whose ancestors had settled here at an early date, when he laid out the town in 1812. It was first called Meadstown, after an early merchant, Benedict Mead, and was known by that name for half a century. When the inhabitants petitioned for a post office, they wished the place to be called Mechanicsburg, but there was another post office of that name in Pennsylvania, and the Department accepted the name Guilford, by which it was called until 1808, when the name was changed to Stewartstown; but the inhabitants insisted on calling it Mechanicsburg; and Act of Assembly, in 1853, officially and legally fixed the name as Stewartstown.