Spring Grove Borough
Borough municipal offices are located at 1 Campus Avenue, Spring Grove PA 17362; phone: 717-225-5791.
The borough is just over 1 square mile in size and is home to approximately 2,000 residents. It is part of the Spring Grove Area School District. The Windy Hill Senior Center (50 North East Street) offers classes and social activities for area residents 60 and older.
Spring Grove — Incorporated from Jackson Township in 1882. The town site was within Paradise Township, as laid off in 1747. The post office was established in 1828. Iron ore deposits were known as early as 1755, when Peter Dicks erected a bloomery, which was the first iron industry west of the Susquehanna River, within the Province of Pennsylvania. The bloomery was discontinued in 1770, when Dicks built a forge, which was called Spring Forge. Bar iron was shipped from the forge to Philadelphia for the use of the Continental Army. Some of the iron was consumed in the manufacture of cannon. The forge was almost destroyed by fire in 1840, but was rebuilt and continued in operation until 1851. A paper mill was put in operation at this time by Jacob Hauer, which has developed into the justly noted P. H. Glatfelter Company. Population in 1940 was 1,259.